- lifting heavy weights and running a marathon
- playing a team or contact sport
- training for a competition and improving athletic performance
Fitness is also…
- playing in the park with the kids, the dog, or by yourself (parkour?!?!)
- swimming at the cottage, dancing up a storm, hiking up a mountain, and jumping on the trampoline with friends
- embracing holistic health, having less pain, more energy, more confidence, and more joy.
Never let a ‘fit’ body, magazine, or ‘fitness pro’ define it for you.
Never let your perceived limitations define it for you.
Never let your yesterdays determine your tomorrows.
To me, fitness is celebrating my body, growing stronger physically and mentally, playing sports, climbing a tree, and jumping up and down like the big kid that I am.
We hear the terms ‘you only live once’, ‘you only have one body’. etc, but how many people really believe it? Why do we collectively think we should only be running around in the park as a kid? Why do we collectively think that when we get older, we have to stop playing and have to just accept aches and physical ailments? Why is it an accepted norm to have high blood pressure, poor posture, poor digestion, or poor sleep? Why do we put limitations on ourselves? Why do we count ourselves out before we even begin?
Why? Because someone else is younger, stronger, faster, leaner, more muscular, more athletic?
But…why is that relevant to YOUR fitness?
Get fit for you, and for your kids, grandkids, friends, loved ones, and the many people in your community who will benefit from seeing you healthy and happy, at your best self, whatever that means to you.
Love your body, it will love you back.
Love your life, it will love you back.